Friday, May 9, 2008

*Names changed to protect identities

Here's an email a colleague sent at work today... A little background info first though: "Jane" and "Mary" are both women in their late 20s, who have attended our learning centre for a few years, and overcome great obstacles, including not speaking English at first, to do so. We have supported them along the way, and they have worked very hard to acheive their current level of success. Both are still financially in tight spots, but it's not quite as bad as it used to be. "Kate" is a 17-year-old mom who started attending in fall when she was a few months pregnant. She returned to school as soon as "Maggie" was old enough (3 months) to be in the daycare, and has also worked very hard all along. All 3 women are going to be attending a student dress rehearsal performance of Dream Girls at MTC next week with a small group from our school. What follows is a brilliant example of the community we work so hard at building within our school...

And now, finally, the email:

"I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy, and I thought I'd pass it on.

This morning, I witnessed the loveliest "pay it forward" from our wonderful students.

Yesterday, I chatted with Kate and Jane about the Dreamgirls production. Kate expressed a combination of interest in going along with concern about what to do with Maggie.

Jane called Mary about this, and they came up with a solution to the child care issue - Mary has a friend who would be willing to watch the baby!

Then...this morning...Jane came to pay for her ticket, and decided to also pay for Kate's because, Jane noted, "she will already have to pay for a babysitter, and I would like to do this."

Try to measure that in any curriculum!!!

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this place????"

I couldn't agree more!! What a great way to end off my week! :-)

No comments: